I almost bought organic premade BBQ sauce, almost.. I thought “hey whats a bit of sugar”… and then I re-read the ingredients and realized it was ALOT of sugar. So I googled some recipe ideas on my phone from the organic food aisle, made a mental note of what I wanted to buy and set on a mission to create my own sauce that didn’t require ketchup and sugar.
There was some trial & error during the process and one thing was missing, and I was dreading it.. I missed the smokey spicy chipotle in adobo sauce taste, but gasp – there’s sugar in a can of those peppers. But I added it anyways, so there. The amount I added for the 3 jars of sauce is totally insignificant if you consider the depth of flavor and deliciousness it adds.. it just belongs there and I have no regrets.
Tomorrow I’ll be throwing boneless skinless chicken thighs in my crockpot with 1/2 jar of this tangy, sweet & spicy love in a jar and making pulled chicken.
- 2- 680ml cans of no salt added tomato sauce
- 1- 225ml jar of apricot or peach jam* (*sweetened with grape juice, NO sugar!)
- ½ cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1 large finely diced onion
- 4 to 6 cloves of garlic, minced/crushed
- ½ - 1 diced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 tbsp adobo sauce
- 3 tbsp gluten free soy sauce
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- Combine all ingredients in a pot, bring to a boil and simmer for 1 hour.
- If you want a very smooth sauce, puree in blender or use an immersion blender.
- Pour into mason jars and store in refrigerator once cool.
- Makes 3- 500ml jars