- 8 cups chicken stock (2 X 900ml boxes)
- 4 slices of fresh ginger (don't need to peel)
- 1 1/2 stalks of lemon grass* chopped in 3 inch pieces, sliced down the middle
- 4 kaffir lime leaves*
- 2 tbsp fresh ground chili paste**
- 4 tbsp chili paste with soy bean oil (nam prik pao)***
- 1 package oyster mushrooms approx. 125g (can be regular or shitake mushrooms if you can't find)
- 1-2 lb of fresh or frozen shrimp (depends on your love of shrimp!)
- 2-3 tbsp fish sauce
- 3 limes juiced
- Rice noodles (portion depends on how hungry you are)
- Bring the chicken stock to a boil and add the ginger, lemon grass, kaffir lime leaves, the fresh ground chili paste and chili paste with soy bean oil.
- Simmer for 20 minutes and taste. Add more of the fresh ground chili paste if you want it spicier.
- Remove the lemon grass, kaffir lime leaves and ginger.
- Add the mushrooms, the shrimp and the fish sauce.
- Simmer until the shrimp is pink and cooked.
- Remove from heat and stir in lime juice.
- In a bowl add cooked rice noodles (or ramen for a fun twist) and pour broth to cover noodles.
- Garnish with tomato slices, sliced green onions and chopped cilantro
*Usually lemon grass and kaffir lime leaves come in bigger quantities. They both freeze really well, so freeze them both (separately) and save a trip to the asian food store next time you make the soup!
** The fresh ground chili paste might already be a staple in your fridge, I use this one
***The chili paste with soy bean oil (nam prik pao) I found at my local asian food store, which was this one