Years ago I fell upon a bird mobile pattern from Spool Sewing and HAD to make one. The birds turned out great but balancing birds on various seperate branches and trying to get everything to balance was, well, hell so it’s still hanging in a closet unfinished. Fast forward to July of this year when I was decorating my then soon to be nephews nursery and thought I could make one but all on one branch! No balancing act so all the fun and no hell.
I googled Spool Sewing bird mobile and realised the website and pattern had been taken down. However I fell upon this lovely blogger who posted the PDF pattern and an explanation of why it disappeared.
With my boyfriend and dog in tow, off we went to the nearby woods to find the perfect branch. Branches need to speak to me, I told my boyfriend when he asked what was taking so long. So I found several branches that I felt had the shape and size I wanted, filled the car trunk (and part of the back seat) and went home.
Part of the fun (ok maybe 1/2 of it) was matching the various fabrics to get the perfect 7 littles birds…
Then I held up the branch to determine how I wanted it to hang so I could screw in the tiny eye hooks at just the right place. Next I threaded a very fine gauge wire and attached it to the eye hooks I already secured. I used 2 step ladders and an extendable painting stick as my assembly area. While my glue gun was heating up, I trimmed the branch, removing small branches here and there.
The rest is pretty obvious, I glued the birds to the branch, lol. After it was all done, I realised felt leaves would be a PERFECT add-on, so well, that’s what I did.
While I was sewing the perfect 7 blue birds for my nephew, I fell upon lilac fabric remnants and knew I HAD to make a 2nd mobile for my god daughters soon to be babies nursery.
They are both so different yet so cute and I ADORE how they both turned out!
XO Talie & Sasha